Sunday, June 28, 2009

Seeds of a Dream Take Root

Good news came this week in the form of a large white envelope bearing my name spelled correctly. It seems I'm starting school on August 24th. What a huge relief.

I applied for the Addiction Counseling program at MCTC (apparently the oldest in MN) for the same reason I started this blog...to transmutate the power of addiction into one of a permanent recovery that involves all that I love, both knowingly and mysteriously. Facing down chemical dependency will be the biggest thing many, many people will have to accomplish in life, simply to have a life. The task is enormously frightening and requires a staggering amount of honesty, energy, humility and patience. These are traits the addict has buried under copious amounts of lies, sloth, ego and intolerance.

I spent many years studying psychology and spirituality, yet could not act upon these studies for the aforementioned reasons. Once the time finally came in April to accept the time as NOW, I had an arsenal of resources at my disposal and was able to slay the beast in an extremely reasonable amount of time. I know that this is not the case for the majority of those suffering. This is why I want to help. In just over two months the world has turned for me in so many ways that before I could only dream about. It is with this in mind that everyday I wish could remind the other troubled souls that life, love, dreams, hope and fulfillment is still theirs. That none of those things have ever gone away because God will never take them from us. It is simply up to us to rediscover them, somewhere beneath the layers of an erroneous life. We all had aspirations as children, whatever they may have been. There were dreams of space travel, the presidency, great paintings and sculptures, baseballs and bats, music and words, true love and eternity, husbands, wives, children and world peace. Life gives what you put in, and I choose to put in my heart.

This just came to me and it may well be my new motto: Still we can dream with innocence, but now we can act with maturity.

Have a great Sunday.


© 2009 Uncover/Recover

1 comment:

Kelley said...

This made me cry. It is beautiful.